I whipped this up on a sunny Saturday afternoon to enjoy with my stack of magazines and a yummy glass of white wine and let me tell you… it was pretty perfect.
Fish sauce is one of those things that is so disgusting by itself (to me), but when combined with lime juice and a little brown sugar is one of my favorite flavor profiles. Add some crunchy, tart fruits/veggies to the mix and you have a real winner!
- 2 tbsp turbinado sugar
- 2 tbsp Asian fish sauce
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp cooking oil
- 1/2 cup salted dry roasted peanuts
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1 head Little Gem lettuce thinly sliced
- 1.5 cups unripe mango or green papaya julienned
- 2 cups yellow or Chioggia beets peeled and julienned (I used my Spiralizer)
- 1/2 cup carrot julienned (I used my Spiralizer)
- 1 large tomatillo husked and finely diced
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves lightly packed
- 1/2 cup mint leaves lightly packed
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds toasted
- Combine sugar and fish sauce in a medium saucepan over moderate heat. Stir until sugar dissolves (about 3 minutes) and remove from heat. Whisk in lime juice and let cool.
- Heat oil over moderate heat in a small skillet. Add peanuts and cumin and cook until fragrant (about 1 minute).
- Spread lettuce in the bottom of a serving bowl. In a separate bowl toss fruit, vegetables, herbs, nuts and seeds with dressing. Pile on top of lettuce and enjoy right away!