With New York Fashion Week just having wrapped up, my Instagram feed has been inundated with images of gorgeous clothing and delicious meals. One of the most popular spots to catch a meal between shows seemed to be by Chloe the plant based diner that puts a vegan spin on comfort food (ie. sweet potato mac and cheese with shitake bacon and kale artichoke dip)… so when Food and Wine did a write up on some of their most popular recipes, I jumped at the chance to whip some of them up.
I obviously had to start with the burger..and boy was it worth it.
- 6 oz soft tofu
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1 tsp agave
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill chopped
- 5 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cup brown rice cooked
- 1 15-oz can cooked lentils rinsed, drained
- 1 cup walnuts toasted
- 1 tsp basil chopped
- 1/2 cup flour (I used 1/4 coconut flour to make it GF)
- 4 hamburger buns
- tomato slices, pickles, lettuce, thinly sliced onion
- Make the sauce by combining tofu, ketchup, mustard, agave and garlic in a blender until smooth. Stir in pickle relish and dill. Season with salt and pepper and refrigerate.
- Make the burgers by sautéing onion in 2 tablespoons of oil for 6 minutes over moderate heat (until browned), then add garlic and sauté 2 more minutes (until softened).
- Scrape onion/garlic mixture into a food processor and add rice, lentils, walnuts, four and basil and pulse until combined (but grains are still visible).
- Using lightly oiled hands, make 1/2 inch thick patties with 1/3 cup of the mixture until mixture is gone (should make 8 patties).
- Wipe out skillet and heat 1 1/2 tablespoons of oil in it. Fry patties in batches over moderate heat until browned (5 minutes on each side)
- To assemble the burgers, spread sauce on the bottom of a toasted bun, top with a patty, veggies and burger bun (or add an extra patty for a double!).
Share this Recipe
Pair with sweet potato fries and a yummy Zinfandel for optimal happiness!