I bought these amazingly sweet, tiny organic strawberries and knew I needed to do something with them – and what is more decadent than creme fraiche meeting ice cream?!
Thanks to Cookstr I came across this great recipe… the combination of lemon, strawberries, vanilla and creme fraiche were enough to persuade my sweets-averse husband to come back for seconds!
Strawberry Creme Fraiche Ice Cream
Adopted from: Lori Longbotham – Luscious Berry Desserts
- 1 pint ripe strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup crème fraîche
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
Puree the strawberries with the sugar in a blender or food processor (or just mash them with a muddler if you are too lazy to do dishes like I am – make sure the fruit is as pureed or chunky as you’d like it to be in your ice cream). Transfer to a large bowl and whisk in the cream, creme fraiche, lemon juice to taste, vanilla, and salt. Refrigerate, covered, until thoroughly chilled.
2. Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Transfer to a Tupperware and freeze for at least 2 hours.