J and I honeymooned at a place called Jumby Bay and when you arrived on the island, you were greeted with their signature cocktail – Rum Punch. I proceeded to indulge in them for the next week and still mourn the fact I can’t find something similar stateside… but this drink (with its freshly ground nutmeg and brown sugar syrup) is pretty close to hitting the spot.
- 3 oz rum
- 1/2 oz Luxardo maraschino liqueur
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed grapefruit juice
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1.5 oz Brown Sugar Syrup (recipe below)
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- Combine rum, maraschino liqueur, grapefruit juice, lime juice and brown sugar syrup in an ice filled cocktail shaker.
- Shake and strain into 2 ice filled glasses.
- Garnish with freshly grated nutmeg and a slice of lime.
* I quadrupled this recipe and made it a pitcher drink – perfect for guests to serve themselves!
Brown Sugar Syrup
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- Bring sugar and water to a boil in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Reduce to a simmer and stir until the brown sugar is dissolved
- Let cool and store in a fridge up to a month.