For those of you that know me, my obsession for Barre3 is still going strong. Today I am almost 3/4 of the way done with our Winter Challenge that embraces healthy eating, fitness and connection. Each week we are sent a new Barre3 approved recipe to try, and I obviously was pretty thrilled when I saw “truffle” in the title. Made with whole foods and no added sugar, these sweet treats do just the trick in curbing any sugar cravings. I love keeping a batch in the freezer to prevent any possible slip ups 🙂
Chocolate Hazelnut Truffles
Recipe via Barre3
- 1 cup pitted Medjool dates
- 1 cup roasted hazelnuts
- 1/4 cup raw cacao powder
- 2 tablespoons almond butter
- 1 tablespoons coconut butter
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons finely shredded unsweetened coconut
- Soak dates in a bowl of hot water until soft. This will take about 20 minutes… drain.
- Combine dates, hazelnuts, cacao powder, almond butter, coconut butter, almond extract, salt and coconut in a food processor for 2 minutes until finely processed.
- You want the mixture to hold together when pressed – feel free to add a little water if mixture is too dry.
- Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of cacao powder on a plate.
- Using a tablespoon, scoop a heaping spoonful of the mixture and roll into a ball.
- Roll each ball into cacao powder until fully coated.
- Store finished truffles in an airtight storage container and refrigerate for an hour before enjoying.
- Lightly wetting your hands helps when creating balls of the dough (it gets pretty sticky).
- Store remaining truffles in the freezer or fridge.