My boss’s wife introduced me to Danielle Walker’s Against All Grain – an amazing paleo food blog with delicious recipes. I snuck a few photos of her cookbook recipes but had forgotten about them until I had to clean out my phone last week… I can’t believe it took me this long to whip up this tasty (and low maintenance) dish!
Pepperoni Pizza Pasta
recipe via Against All Grain
- 4 ounces pepperoni, cut into wedges and sliced crosswise
- ¾ pound mild Italian sausage, casings removed (I used chicken)
- 1 head de-stemmed and coarsely chopped curly kale
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- 3 pounds yellow squash (about 3-5 squash), spiraled on the largest noodle setting
- ¾ cup tomato paste
- 1 to 3 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast (or Parmesan cheese)
- Heat a large pot over medium-high heat and add the pepperoni. Brown for 2 minutes on each side, then remove with a slotted spoon to a paper towel lined dish.
- Add the sausage to the pot and cook for a minute or so, until it starts to crumble.
- Add in kale and salt and cook 4 minutes more or until sausage is cooked through.
- Add the squash noodles to the pot and sauté for 5 minutes (you want noodles to be crisp tender).
- Stir in tomato paste, 1 tablespoon water, oregano and nutritional yeast/Parmesan cheese.
- Cover and cook 5-7 minute until the sauce is simmering and noodles are soft (but not soggy!).
- Add the pepperoni and stir until combined and serve with crushed red pepper.
The most entertaining part about this dish was how much it tasted like a pizza pocket! And to enjoy something with no guilt? I’m so in.