Please do not let the fact this doesn’t look extremely appetizing deter you. This is the best salad (ok second best) and it couldn’t be easier for those nights where you want Thai takeout (takeout salads are never good anyway).
Luang Prabang Fusion Salad
- 2 eggs
- 1 large head of red butter leaf lettuce, hand torn
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 1/2 cup cilantro springs
- 1/4 cup parsley springs
- 1/2 Tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 serrano chili, minced
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Thai fish sauce
- 1 Tablespoons fresh lime sauce
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tablespoon peanut oil
- 1/4 pound ground pork
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons dry roasted peanuts, chopped
- Put eggs in a saucepan with cold water to cover. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and cook at a gentle rolling boil for 10 minutes. Drain and let cool.
- Place salad ingredients in a large bowl and set aside.
- Peel hard boiled eggs and cut in half. Transfer yolks to a bowl and mash. Slice egg whites and set aside.
- Mix ginger, chili, fish sauce, lime juice & a clove of garlic in a mason jar and shake until combined.
- Heat a wok over high heat. Add oil and heat for 20 seconds, add remaining garlic and stir fry for 20 seconds more. Add pork and use your spoon to break up to small pieces. Once pork is cooked through (1-2 minutes), add salt, sugar then hot water and bring to a boil. Add vinegar, mashed egg yolks and stir to blend.
- Pour hot liquid and pork over the prepared greens and toss gently. Pour the lime juice dressing and toss.
- Transfer to dishes and top with egg white slices and chopped peanuts.