Saturdays are always great… but when a holiday falls on one? Oh boy. With Valentine’s Day falling on (what I hope for you is) a leisurely day off, what better way to celebrate, than with brunch? This easy (and delicious) brunch is a fun one to whip up with your loved one and get the day started on the right foot.
Our menu for the morning:
- Blood Orange Mimosas
- Strawberry Poppyseed Pancakes
- Prather Ranch Maple Bacon
- Mixed Berry Fruit Salad with Blood Orange and Mint
- Scrambled Eggs with Creme Fraiche and Chives
Strawberry Poppy Seed Pancakes
Recipe via Creme de la Crumb
- 1¼ cups all purpose flour
- 1½ tablespoons poppyseeds
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup sugar
- juice of 2 medium lemons
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 cup strawberries, diced
- Preheat large pan over medium low heat.
- Mix dry ingredients (flour, poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda and salt) in a large bowl.
- Whisk lemon juice and sugar in a separate medium bowl.
- Add buttermilk, vanilla and egg, and mix until smooth.
- Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients and pour dry ingredients into the well, whisking ingredients until just incorporated (the batter will still be lumpy).
- Gently fold in diced strawberries.
- Pour 1/4 cup of batter into preheated skillet (I melted a bit of butter first).
- Wait for the edges to look “dry” and bubbles start to form in the batter, then flip pancake and cook about 2 minutes longer (until golden brown).
- Repeat with remaining batter.
- Top with diced strawberries and lemon zest.
Check out last year’s Valentine’s breakfast post for another easy brunch menu!