One of my favorite gifts of all time? My cashmere robe. It is one of the most decedent items I own and feel so luxurious every morning I get to put it on. (tip: gentlemen – take note with the holidays coming up wink wink).
The only downside with cashmere is it is slightly high maintenance… or so I thought. But look no further! You don’t have to shell out $$ to dry clean your cashmere robe (or sweaters/socks/tops)… you actually can clean it at home. Here is how to:
1. Wash out your sink or bathtub so that it is clean. Fill with cold water.
2. Fill up water with a cashmere washing agent or mild detergent – ie Woolite or The Laundress Cashmere Wash (I used 3 cap-fulls).
3. Place garment in tub and fully submerge into water.
4. Gently knead and work detergent into the fabric. Make sure not to stretch or pull (cashmere is very delicate and you don’t want to disfigure it).
6. Drain bathtub and refill with fresh, cold water (I used the showerhead attachment to rinse out the fabric).
8. Drain tub again and gently ball material to squeeze excess water out. Layout robe between towels on a drying rack or table (I did this outside, because a lot of water was still in the fabric).