This week is green themed and what better way to kick off a St. Patrick’s Day celebration than Corned Beef and Cabbage!?
Corned Beef and Cabbage
- 3-4 pounds lean corned beef brisket
- 1/2 pound fingerlings potatoes
- 1 small onion, cut into 1 inch wedges
- 3 celery stalks, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 5 carrots, peeled & cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1/2 head of Savoy cabbage, cut into 1 inch wedges
- Place corned beef into crock pot.
- Sprinkle with spice packet (that comes with corned beef) or 3 Tablespoons pickling spice.
- Layer carrots, potatoes, onion, and celery over meat.
- Add enough hot water to cover meat by 1 inch (4-5 cups).
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
- After 8 hours, add cabbage and cook on high for 45 minutes.
- Thinly slice meat against the grain and serve with vegetables.
Note: Whole Foods makes a GREAT brined corned beef (omit Step 2).
*I recommend serving with grainy mustard or a yummy mixture of creme fraiche with some freshly grated horseradish.
Now get your green beer ready and your grocery lists prepped for an amazing St. Patrick’s Day Meal next week!
Yummy! Like the idea of creme fraiche with horseradish.
[…] you are into St. Patty’s, check out Laundry in Louboutins’s guide to a classic Irish Meal. […]
[…] some St. Patty’s day inspiration click here, here and […]