This week is green themed and what better way to kick off a St. Patrick’s Day celebration than Corned Beef and Cabbage!?
Corned Beef and Cabbage
- 3-4 pounds lean corned beef brisket
- 1/2 pound fingerlings potatoes
- 1 small onion, cut into 1 inch wedges
- 3 celery stalks, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 5 carrots, peeled & cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1/2 head of Savoy cabbage, cut into 1 inch wedges
- Place corned beef into crock pot.
- Sprinkle with spice packet (that comes with corned beef) or 3 Tablespoons pickling spice.
- Layer carrots, potatoes, onion, and celery over meat.
- Add enough hot water to cover meat by 1 inch (4-5 cups).
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
- After 8 hours, add cabbage and cook on high for 45 minutes.
- Thinly slice meat against the grain and serve with vegetables.
Note: Whole Foods makes a GREAT brined corned beef (omit Step 2).
*I recommend serving with grainy mustard or a yummy mixture of creme fraiche with some freshly grated horseradish.
Now get your green beer ready and your grocery lists prepped for an amazing St. Patrick’s Day Meal next week!