I recently subscribed to Food & Wine magazine, and have been LOVING their delicious recipes each month! One of my favorites from this past edition was this delicious burger… paired with shoestring fries and a yummy beer – it was the perfect weekend lunch for this hot summer weather!
Farmbar Pork Burgers with Bread & Butter Zucchini Pickles
- 1/2 lb ground pork
- 1/2 lb fresh chorizo (I used chicken chorizo), casings removed and sausage broken up
- 1/4 ricotta cheese
- 1.5 T capers, drained, rinsed, finely chopped
- sharped cheddar cheese (thinly sliced or finely shredded)
- brioche burger buns
- butter lettuce
- bread & butter zucchini pickles
- Gently mix ground pork, chorizo, ricotta and capers.
- Form meat into patties and season with salt & pepper.
- Grill burgers over moderately high heat, turning once until cooked through (about 10 minutes).
- Top with cheddar during the last minute and let melt.
- Let burgers sit for 5 minutes.
- Assemble burgers by spreading mayo/ketchup/mustard on buns, set burger on bottom bun, top with pickles, lettuce and top bun.
- Eat ASAP and enjoy!
Bread & Butter Zucchini Pickles
- 2 zucchinis (1 lb worth), sliced crosswise 1/8 inch thick
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced sweet onion
- 3 T kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups unfiltered apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 1/2 tsp dry mustard powder
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- In a large bowl, toss zucchini and onion with 2 T salt.
- Cover with ice water and let stand for 45 minutes (until softened).
- Drain and pat veggies dry.
- Meanwhile, combine 1 T salt, vinegar, sugar, mustard seeds, mustard powder, turmeric & 1/2 cup of water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil & stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Transfer zucchini to a quart sized mason jar and top with vinegar mixture. Let cool and refrigerate over night (although I have definitely let these sit for an hour and then enjoyed them).
*Pickles will last 1 week