Last year my sister made these delicious beet-pickled eggs, but after finding some quail eggs through Farm Fresh to You (use code WHIT1117 for $10 off your first order), I knew I needed to give these a fun twist!
Beet Pickled Quail Eggs
recipe via Martha Stewart
- 1 beet, peeled & grated
- 1 cup white balsamic vinegar
- heaping 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon juniper berries
- 24 quail eggs (I did 12 quail eggs and 1/2 dozen chicken eggs)
- Bring beet, 1 cup water, vinegar, sugar, coarse salt, juniper berries, and bay leaf to boil in a small pot, stirring until sugar/salt are dissolved.
- Let mixture cool and then strain through a fine sieve. Discard solids.
- Cover eggs with 1 inch in a small saucepan. Bring to a rolling boil, remove from heat, cover and let sit for 3 minutes (be sure to use a timer!).
- Transfer eggs to an ice bath until chilled. Drain and peel eggs.
- Place eggs in an airtight container and top with beet vinegar mixture.
- Cover, chill and refrigerate for 4-5 days.
- Slice in half and serve with celery leaves and flaky sea salt.