I’m working on finding more “whip it up” meals, that allow me to come home and create a delicious, healthy meal in a short amount of time. If my husband likes it? Even better… luckily these lettuce cups fit the bill on all counts.
Chicken Lettuce Cups
- 1 tablespoon EVOO
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons hoisin
- 1 tablespoon sriracha sauce
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1 handful basil leaves, snipped into strips
- 3 scallions, sliced
- 8 large Romaine or Bibb lettuce leaves
- 1 jalapeño, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili garlic sauce
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet. Add ground chicken and cook about 10 minutes (until cooked through), breaking up the meat as it cooks.
- While chicken is cooking, add jalapeño slices and rice vinegar in a small bowl. Let sit for 10 minutes (this will be the start of your sauce).
- Now back to the chicken… add the onion and garlic to your chicken mixture and cook for 5 minutes. Add the soy, sriracha and hoisin and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper and add herbs (basil/scallions), give a good stir and remove from heat.
- Now that your chicken mixture is complete, head back to your pickled jalapeño mixture. Add soy sauce and chili garlic sauce and stir.
- Assemble lettuce cups by spooning chicken mixture onto lettuce leaf and topping with the jalapeño sauce (which surprisingly isn’t too spicy – more vinegary – which I love!)