This summer I wrote about my favorite “summer salad,” well today I am going to share my favorite “winter salad” – as well as one of the many soups I’ve whipped up this season.
Kale and Persimmon Salad
- 5 cups kale, chopped/shredded
- 2 Fuyu persimmons, cut into wedges
- 1 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped
- 1/2 cup Gorgonzola crumbles
- 1 lemon, halved
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Massage kale with juice of half a lemon and let marinate in fridge for an hour or so.
- Prep dressing by blending remaining half of lemon juice, Greek yogurt, olive oil, garlic, Worcestershire, and Dijon in an airtight container.
- Drizzle dressing over kale (when ready) and gently fold in persimmons, walnuts and cheese.
Leek, Fennel, Apple and Walnut Soup (dairy free, gluten free, vegan)
via The First Mess
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed or olive oil
- 3 leeks (I used 1 leek, 1 yellow onion and a few green onions)
- white and light green parts chopped
- 4 sprigs thyme, minced
- 1 fennel bulb, cored and chopped
- 1 medium apple, cored and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground tumeric
- 1/2 cup walnut halves, toasted
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium and add chopped leeks (and onion) and thyme and stir. Saute until leeks are soft (about 4 minutes).
- Add chopped fennel and apples and stir.
- Add turmeric and stir until combined.
- Saute until fennel starts to soften (another 4 minutes).
- Add walnuts and stir.
- Season with salt and pepper and add vegetable stock and (guess what) stir.
- Bring the pot to a boil and simmer until all the produce is soft (about 15 minutes).
- Remove soup from heat and use an immersion blender to mix until smooth.
- Serve hot with drizzled maple, toasted walnuts and fennel fronds.
* I love adding sliced hot Italian sausage to it for an easy winter meal!