Now that fall is in the (80 degree) air I am swapping watermelon for butternut squash, swim suits for sweaters, and vodka for bourbon. My family loves sour cherry syrup (perfect for mixing with club soda and lime for a refreshing sipper), so when I came across a bottle of it, I knew I had to swoop it up (it can be hard to find). I mixed it with a favorite of my fall-ish libations and here is what we came up with!
Sour Cherry Cider Sip
- 1 1/2 oz whiskey
- 1/2 oz sour cherry syrup
- ~1/4 cup cider
- Pour whiskey in a low ball glass over ice.
- Add sour cherry syrup.
- Top with cider and stir.
You know how I love a cocktail with minimal clean-up… and this one hits the spot! Delicious, refreshing, seasonal and still a little bubbly from the cider – perfection!
PS. if you aren’t able to find any syrup at your local artisan store (or Cost Plus or Home Goods), you can make your own!
Cherry Simple Syrup
- 8 oz cherries (fresh or frozen)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- Place ingredients in a sauce pan and stir over medium heat.
- Cover and lift lid only to stir occasionally.
- Once cherries soften (and are easily “mashable”), allow to cook 5 more minutes and then cool.
- Store cherries and syrup in an airtight container.
*For this recipe you can include both cherries and syrup in the cocktail. Otherwise feel free to strain them.