As I wrote the title of this post I realized that while it may be catchy, it may not be the most appetizing option. But if you make this dish, I promise you, it will more than make up for it…
Zucchini Patty Pita
- 1 zucchini, grated
- 1 15.5 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1 small red onion, grated
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- 1/4 cup EVOO
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- Whole wheat pitas
- Tzatziki or Greek yogurt
- Chopped heirloom tomatoes
- Cucumber slices
- Lettuce leaves
- Mint leaves
- anything else you can think of!
- Mash chickpeas in a medium sized mixing bowl until smooth.
- Stir in zucchini, red onion, breadcrumbs, egg and salt.
- Form mixture into patties (the sized of a hamburger patty)
- Saute patties in olive oil until golden and crispy (about 3 minutes a side)
- Serve patties in pitas filled/topped with whatever your heart desires (I love lemon hummus, cucumber slices, chopped tomato, torn mint and a dollop of tzatziki -yum!)
My favorite thing about this dish (aside from the taste) is how easy it is! It’s turned into my go-to meal option for those nights where I just don’t feel like cooking (and don’t feel like figuring out takeout options).
This fun spin on the Falafel helps to get your veggie intake in and use up your farmer’s market produce! The perfect option for your next Meatless Monday!