I love to meal plan, but sometimes you just don’t get around to using everything… one of biggest issues in the kitchen? Consuming bananas before they turn on me. Therefore half of my freezer is frozen bananas – which isn’t a great situation for anti-smoothie weather. But what to do? Banana bread!
I enlisted the help of my favorite (and cutest) helpers and got to work some banana bread muffins. The catch? They are flour, oil and butter free – and no one could tell the difference!
Gluten Free Banana Bread
recipe via The Well Traveled Wife
- 2 1/2 cups gluten free old fashioned oats (you can use normal oats if you don’t care about GF)
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt
- 2 eggs
- heaping 1/2 cup sugar (I used coconut sugar – hence the dark color – for a healthier sweetener alt.)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 ripe bananas
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line muffin tins with liners or non-stick cooking spray.
- Place above ingredients into a blender and mix until smooth (it works best to add the oats last, working with a cup at a time).
- Pour batter into muffin tins.
- Top with chocolate chips (optional)
- Bake for 13-15 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
A few tips:
- You can fill the muffin tins pretty much up to the top. They do not rise too much.
- Do not overcook muffins. It’s better to under-cook them a bit (they will cook a bit more once removed from the oven) – because they will end up chewy and tough.
- These are great to make an extra batch and freeze for later.
- Mixing in hemp seeds and flax seeds could be a nice healthy boost!