You know when you discover something and can’t wrap your mind around how you ever lived without it?! For me, that thing is breakfast tacos.
I’ve mastered all things Mexican food and have fully embraced them in my morning routine – breakfast burritos, Huevos Rancheros, Jalisco Scrambles … and now I am excited to share my newest breakfast kick – breakfast tacos.
So simple, so delicious and SO EASY. All you really need is tortillas and you can get as creative as you wish… here is what we whipped up for brunch this weekend:
- bacon (could use ham or sausage)
- shredded cheddar cheese (could use cotija as well)
- tomatoes, diced (or pico de gallo)
- black beans (or pinto)
- onion, diced
- Pan fry bacon in a skillet (I used my cast iron pan) on medium low heat for about 4 minutes per side (keep an eye on them).
- Let bacon cool on paper towels and reserve bacon fat. Cut or crumble into bite sized pieces.
- Whisk eggs in a dish (for 2 people I used 6 eggs) and add salt/pepper.
- Scramble eggs over low heat in 1 tablespoon of bacon fat and stir in beans to warm up last 2 minutes or so.
- Heat up tortillas in microwave for 30 seconds (wrap in wet paper towel).
- Top with assorted toppings (cheese, eggs/beans, bacon, avocado, tomatoes, cilantro) and drizzle with hot sauce of your choice (I’m addicted to the green Tabasco).
*If you like potatoes and onion I highly recommend baking or sautéing them with the bacon fat as well.
**I think my favorite thing from Whole Foods is their breakfast meat. Their in-house maple sausage and applewood bacon are AMAZING (and totally worth the splurge).
The end is near… be sure to enter the Elsie Green Giveaway!!! Just explore the Elsie Green website and see what item(s) you like best and leave a comment on THIS post letting me know which thing(s)! Make sure to follow up with the Rafflecopter widget below 🙂 Good luck!