One of J and my favorite date night spots is a place called Oak & Rye… sadly we have spread the word TOO well and have a very hard time getting in there in a timely matter now (le sigh).
We love pretty much everything on their menu, but we both agree the “Scottie 2 Hottie” pizza takes the cake. So when we can’t eat the real stuff, I did the next best thing, and tried my hand at a easy, make-at-home version that can tide us over until we are willing to wait out the hour+ wait.
Scotty 2 Hottie
- Premade pizza dough (or make your own… I’m not that ambitious)
- Pizza Sauce
- Sopressata (you can get this at most artisan grocery stores or Italian delis – but pepperoni does the trick too!)
- Mozzarella (I use a log, not shredded)
- Sliced pepperoncinis
- Prebake the crust for 10 minutes at 475 degrees (or according to the dough’s instructions) until golden brown (I feel like in the movies that they always put toppings on raw pizza dough – DON’T DO IT. I always end up with raw pizza… yuck).
- Remove crust from oven and top with pizza sauce, sliced mozzarella and Sopressata.
- Bake 5 more minutes or until cheese has melted.
- Remove from oven and top with basil leaves and drained pepperoncini slices.
- Bake pizza for 2-3 more minutes.
- Remove pizza from oven and drizzle with honey.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
* the key to ingredient amounts is totally up to preference… just beware the pepperoncini’s have a bit of heat, so use less if you prefer more mild food