My favorite girl Lindsy got me this amazing cookbook Deliciously Ella, that I’ve been cooking from for the last month. It’s full of plant-based gluten-free recipes, and I love how flavorful yet simple most of the dishes are. Last week I was craving something warm but healthy (aka not another salad) and I whipped up her delicious polenta, mushroom and kale bowls… and guess what? It hit the spot!
Creamy Polenta Bowl with Mushrooms and Crispy Kale
recipe via Deliciously Ella
- 18 oz polenta (I ordered this pre-cooked kind, but you can also buy the dried kind, and prepare it)
- 1 bunch curly kale
- 1 lb button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons tamari (you can also sub soy sauce)
- 6 sprigs of thyme
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Tear kale into bite sized pieces (remove stems) and toss lightly with olive oil and salt. Bake for 20 minutes until crispy.
- Slice mushrooms (unless you bought sliced mushrooms – time saver!) and add tamari and thyme sprigs in a frying pan. Saute for 5-10 minutes.
- Warm polenta or cook according to directions (the warm polenta requires you adding a little water and mixing it over medium heat in a saucepan).
- Stir lemon juice into polenta and scoop into serving bowls. Drizzle with olive oil.
- Top with kale and mushrooms. Garnish with a sprig of thyme.
What’s the best way to jazz up the polenta?
By adding the lemon juice and olive oil to the polenta and eating each bite with the mushroom and kale mixture – it should hit the spot! 🙂
Did this and it was smashing, thank you very much!
Cook the polenta with chicken stock instead of water
or if you want it to be creamy use milk and a bag leaf then stir in some grated parmesan when cooked 🙂